Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Letter to The Daily Dish

Andrew Sullivan has been straddling the fence on the Mass. Senate race but has been supportive of President Obama as one of the last sane men in our political system. Sullivan over the past has recorded the ire of the Right, who claim Obama's taken their country away from them and how distant they feel from the President. Sullivan has also been outspoken on the crimes of the past administration.

With all the carping about President Obama, he seconds the emotions contained in a letter from a reader. It's worth reprinting because no one can quite understand the serial outrages I have felt in the past several years over one relevation after the other about the Bush-Cheney years. One very distinct moment was when I woke up and literally discovered--only through an obscure discussion on the Hill--that the Fourth Amendment of our Constitution had been suspended for two years. Or when you realize the entire economy just vaporized and you will never get to retire.

Here's what the reader says:

"The past year has been very difficult one for me, personally and professionally. "I've been up a lot more than I've been down, and I've been angry and frustrated with life, as we all are at times. But I can't remember the last time I felt such overwhelming rage toward a group of people as I have felt toward the Republican Party and the conservative movement since President Obama's election.

I simply cannot grasp what motivates these people, what compels them to thwart even the smallest attempts to clean up the enormous destruction they wrought under Bush and Cheney. Irresponsible, hateful, mendacious, sleazy, destructive--these words do not even begin to describe them.

I am unemployed and have not found a new job after almost a year of searching. I have a mortgage. I also have a preexisting medical condition, thanks to emergency surgery I had to undergo nearly 18 months ago. My unemployment benefits expire in five months, my COBRA not long after. Like untold millions of Americans, I am preparing for the worst as the economy slogs through its agonizing turnaround.

I voted for Obama with proud but open eyes, knowing full well not just the magnitude of the tasks he faced, but the pure,unrestrained malevolence of his opposition. Health care reform will unquestionably help people like me. And now some low-rent hairdo, whose sole claim is posing naked for some ladies' magazine way back when, may happily destroy whatever chance this country has at moving in a more just, humane and morally and fiscally responsible direction.

As you stated (referring to Sullivan), the Republican Party of this new century is shot through with nihilists. Unabashed nihilists. But what leaves me shaking with anger damn near every day since President Obama's inauguration is the pure smugness and nonchalence of their nihilism.

Palin, McConnell, DeMint, Boehner, Cantor, Rubio, Scott Brown and the rest of the Ailes- and Limbaugh-warped GOP: Would you trust any one of these goons to greet you at WalMart, much less govern the country? The question answers itself. They literally care nothing for America. (Me--This I truly believe--He's right.) They have spent the past decade doubling the national debt, running up record deficits, indulging the depradations of Wall Street, expanding Medicare by a trillion dollars while again refusing to cover the cost,degrading the Army and Marine Corps to the point where it will take them both at least a decade to recover, jailing and torturing detainees and lying about it, manipulating intelligence in order to invade Iraq out of some sick neocon thirst for vanity and glory. I could go on, but that would take hours, and only make me angrier.

Suffice to sat that Republicans lecturing the country about fiscal responsibility, economic recovery, governing--or anything lese, for that matter--would be like Mick Jagger lecturing Mother Teresa about excessive promiscuity.

Karl Rove and Dick Cheney were thankfully not present at America's founding. But their political descendants will certainly be present at America's demise."

I expect in the months ahead we might see the real American outrage and its not going to be the faux teabagger kind. Hopefully they will get the targets right.

No comments:

Post a Comment