Thursday, June 25, 2015

Interesting Takes on SCOTUS Decision

++I gave a cursory read of Roberts' majority decision. I found it interesting that he said Chevron didn't provide the necessary framework for deciding for the government. I thought it did. What is interesting that  Roberts invoked avoiding a death spiral of the insurance markets, a play of the Right's critique of Obamacare. I found the majority opinion basically solid and well-reasoned. Kennedy, who voted against the ACA, not surprising joined the majority. I say this because in the oral hearing he said quite openly that he was concerned by the plaintiff's arguments from a federalist perspective. Business Insider had tagged this as sign the court would affirm Obamacare. Also I noticed that Roberts added in the ACA's benefit to millions,the first sign I have seen that Supreme Court Justices are aware of the outside world.

++The GOP was right off the mark saying that they should repeal Obamacare through budget reconciliation. Reince Preibus says that this is the reason you should vote for a Republican President so that he can repeal and replace. Reince used his statement as an opportunity to attack Hillary Clinton and her love of big government. Bill Kristol was quick off the block attacking the decision. Mike Huckabee said it was "judicial tyranny". 

++I wonder now that they have run out of their judicial tricks, what the GOP alternative is?

No comments:

Post a Comment