Thursday, December 26, 2013

Wishes for 2014

++This year I would like to deal with my own anxieties and not have a series of artificial ones jammed down my throat by politicians. I shutter to think about the next debt ceiling debate. I can't afford the House GOP tanking the world economy and flushing what prospects I have for retirement down the drain. I also can not absorb any further instability in the health insurance market. If the GOP wins in 2014,I hope I will be able to crawl to Medicare in time before they take away what remains of healthcare in this country.

++In other words, I want stability in my political world. But given the music from conservatives near the end of the year,I expect more cultural warfare on inane subjects and more aggression toward the middle-class and lower classes.

++The CNN poll which shows the GOP up by 5 in the generic poll, also shows that only 33% of Americans want to vote in 2014. Only 22% of Democrats are enthusiastic. The GOP is already pumping out the news they will take-over the Senate and enlarge their majority in the House. If true,it will be a disaster for the country. 

++The economy, unless Congress destroys it, looks like it will continue to grow. I expect unemployment to be about 6.5% by mid-year. I also expect the deficit to drop another $200B at the same time. If Congress had passed any of President Obama's agenda, we would be facing an economy of 5% unemployment by June. 

++Like the reaction to Obamacare in 2010,I expect this year's reactions will be against same-sex marriage and the legalization of marijuana. I think the fake controversy over the Duke Dynasty is the first shot in this last-gasp of reaction.

++But Democrats have to be concerned. They must retain the Senate at all costs. In 2016 and 2020,they will be defending less and can go on the offensive. But a temporary loss of the Senate will make Obama's last years hellish. I expect the House to be Republican even if Democrats gain some seats. Over 150 Republicans are running unopposed--composing the small white man Caucus.

++The zeitgeist has changed. The austerity thrill is gone. Democrats can push back on more populist measures on the economy such as raising the minimum wage and floating the idea of expanding Social Security. The culture wars are finished in popular opinion. Same Sex marriage is gaining support by majorities in poll after poll and legalization of marijuana is increasing in support. But remember in 2014 only the most motivated voter votes and this has been a killer for Democrats. 

++In the CNN/ORC poll, the flip between Democrats and Republicans since the GOP fell way behind in the polling done on the government shutdown all came from white males. Women of all races ad classes still favored Democrats. Expect more misogynistic rhetoric in the coming year.

++The key for me will be the races for governor in Florida and North Carolina. If the Democrats turn these states around, even with poor national polling,they will be in good shape in 2016.

++I am still convinced the last thing Obama will see passed from his agenda will be immigration reform. I don't expect anything else. The Democrats must hit the ground running in 2014 for the restoration of the unemployment benefits. But I don't think much more will be done in this coming Congress.

++One of  my concerns is Congress sabotaging the Iran deal. As of now,there is a bipartisan effort to do just that. I think if a full deal with Iran on the nuclear issue can be achieved, it will finally put the nails into the neo-conservative coffin. That is why there will be such pushback from the pundits and the Washington Post. Their raison d'ĂȘtre disappears. 

++While pundits point to President Obama's low poll numbers. They neglect one telling poll on the economy. 50% still blame George W. Bush for today's economy and only 38% blame Obama. 

++There will be other crises but if we can avoid any more on the economy and Iran, we will be better off.

No comments:

Post a Comment