Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Zombie Media*

**A post by this name at Democratic Underground.

++The blogger asks a good question--"does anyone watch television anymore?

++We had the evolution of news to the John Stewart Show and Stephen Colbert, where you could get an accurate read on the daily news. There is always Rachel Maddow with Brother Benen still maintaining some standards. 

++So what's poor boy to do if the straight media outlets suck. Jon Karl was only exotic for a few moments when I realized he had been my executive assistant. Wolf Blitzer and "the Plane! The Plane! rap went down in flames. FOX News really is unwatchable. Sweeney Todd is impossible. Chris Matthews is erratic. There is literally no one to watch for the simple unvarnished news.

++Now I am letting my paywalls expire because in those publications I rarely read one piece a week worth reading. Is it worth paying for that? 

++I miss Andrew Sullivan for the variety of opinion on The Dish and would love to see him opine on the 20-person GOP race. 

++The Washington Post is unrelenting on urging war. Today we had an analysis of how Iraq instability is caused by the failure of American policy. You could extend this to Greece, the Crimea,Burma. This is endless. Personally I have no skin in the Iraq game. You would have to stretch it to make the case. But if you were for the Iraq War like the Post you feel let down by the mess left behind. 

++The best I can do is the regional newspapers about events in different parts of the country. 

++But seriously, do you know anyone who watches television for the news anymore? We have radio people in my family. I know my midwestern relatives watch morning television for the news and the weather,especially the weather.I know none of my close acquaintances here in DC even watch the news. And they have a stack because they have to know what's going on the hill. 

++Is this because we don't believe the news or do we receive information through websites that cater to our own political subculture?

++I have felt this more intensely the last few months as personalities and websites have disappeared. 


No comments:

Post a Comment