Wednesday, March 25, 2015

My Day at the Senate

++I listened to two counter-terrorism academics, who had no military experience and only had previously lectured on conflict resolution.

++I heard Joe Leiberman, that Joe Lieberman, invoke JFK's "Don't Ask What Y0our Country Can Do For You" as some kind of mantra to fight in the Middle east.

++I heard a speaker express justifiable outrage at torture practiced by a Middle Eastern country. He listed all the techniques already published in the Senate report with no sense of irony.

++I heard the Bibi 'bad deal" invoked about dealing with Iran without any attribution.

++I heard the new Democratic Senator from Michigan claim that Senator Corker was not going to let Iran get away with  a nuclear agreement because Tehran only understood power. So more sanctions are necessary.

++I heard only passing references to ISIS because that was a minor problem compared to the sweeping gains of Tehran in the region.

++I heard that Iranian expansion was a sign Tehran was weak and on the verge of collapse.

++I heard one of our former generals in Iraq ,whom I respect, say we should still be there.

++And Senator Schumer showed up at the end to assure everyone that the Senate will vote for more sanctions after their break.

++What bothers me is that this was sort of the same discussion that we had before invading Tehran. A speaker mentioned that Tehran was no longer contained. Gee, I wonder how that happened.

++These perception are hard-baked into the political culture now. We haven't gotten to the breaking point but give it six months.

++There was no mention of the Authorization of Force before the Senate and no outright partisanship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment